Module duration: 4 hours
An introduction about the basic concepts of information security is required to understand, evaluate and deal with the context of cybersecurity. In this training module, we introduce the main properties of security and present the cryptographic tools that allow the creation of schemes for information protection. Also the main authentication guidelines that the users and devices need to follow are presented.
The aim of this module is to give a wide knowledge about the basic concepts of security and to introduce the participants to the basic notions of cryptography. This module is advised to obtain and improve the tools needed for a better understanding of the other modules.
This module is an introduction about security and cryptography. It is divided into two parts, and the main arguments of both are listed below.
Introduction to security
• Definitions and applications inherent to the CIA triad
• Basic terminology, needful to a more detailed understanding of cybersecurity arguments
• Access control: identification, authorization, authentication
• Security vulnerability: CVE, CVSS and CWE definitions
Introduction to cryptography
• Symmetric and Asymmetric cryptography
• Hash functions
• Random Number generator
• Digital signature
• Attacks (algebraic, side channel, ...)
• Basic notions on Public Key Infrastructure
This module is intended for professionals that need to broaden their knowledge about security and cryptography, when their work context requires it. We also recommend participating in this module to acquire all the basic tools needed to understand the others.